A 10-kiloWatt or larger solar system is bigger than much of what Renu Energy Solutions typically installs residentially, but we’ve done our share at this scale.
For a larger homes for which this size of solar installation is appropriate, the good news is that most utility companies that serve our areas don’t impose any monthly fees on solar systems of this size, as they do in Virginia and some other states. The components of energy use that would likely contribute to sizing a system around 10 kW or greater are:
- The property itself is larger, perhaps with spacious entertaining spaces and 5+ bedrooms. We tend to see homes that are away from very developed areas, so watching out for tree-shading is essential to ensure good production.
- The home’s systems are mainly electric, including potentially space heating and water heating
- Some highly energy-intensive items (like a hot tub, pool especially a heated indoor pool or computer server) are present. Multiple refrigerators, a suite with a separate kitchen, and an electric vehicle charger may increase energy demand.
- The roof areas suitable for solar are large, unobstructed, and can accommodate large numbers of panels
- Solar systems in this size range are more likely to result if the customer determines with help from their tax preparer that they could potentially qualify for the federal solar tax credit of 30%
Because of seasonal and market factors, as well as the essential fact that a location must qualify for solar based on orientation, shading, and utility connection options, we require a real-time consultation with an experienced solar professional in order to issue a quote.
Connect with us today to get started on the path to energy self-reliance with clean solar power!